Friday, November 28, 2008

"Turkey Day!"

I Finally made it to my parent's place in Pasadena, CA for Thanksgiving! I got here on Monday night, and can't believe I only have a few days left....today obviously was thanksgiving, so HAPPY thanksgiving!

We had the traditional family spread.... gigantic turkey, cranberry sauce, my sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, 5 bottles of sparkling cider...you know... and it was ALL delicious!! On Tuesday I found out Mom and dad had planned on going out to eat this year. I furiously protested! A traditional home-cooked thanksgiving is what I had been looking forward to these past few months and what I spent so much money on a ticket for! No, of course I really bought the ticket to spend time with my family, but part of that is cooking and eating at home.... thanksgiving wouldn't be the same for me at a restaurant! So anyway me and Elisabeth (my oldest sister who is moving to England in 2 weeks) convinced the rents we had to stay here and Sarah, me, and her would do ALL the cooking so mom and dad wouldn't have to do anything.
We did all the cooking and clean up with a little help from Matt (Elisabeth's husband) and Theo. It was probably the smallest family thanksgiving we've ever had since it was just 4 siblings out of 8... but no, I guess 2 years in Congo we had only 3 siblings! But it really felt weird without my older brothers and Colleen. I am SO excited about Christmas when we all (minus Elis. & Matt) will be together. We just can't seem to get everybody here at once but that's life in a family of 8!

We did the whole "go around and say what you're thankful for" and I thought of so many things to say. I have so much to be thankful for. I say that every year but God has taught me a lot, given me a LOT, blessed me a lot, stretched me a LOT, matured me a lot, brought me through a lot,... and I know He will keep blessing me and working everything out.... :-)
Anyways i just wanted to write and say I'm thankful today. There are things in my life that I never thought I'd have today, and there are things or parts of my life that I don't have anymore today,... but God is helping me be optimistic and He just keeps helping me to trust Him and not worry about the future.
I've been trying to live in the Present and not take anything for granted.
It's time for bed.
Debating on whether or not I should take Sarah shopping this Black Friday.... :-/ hmm
Tempted!! We'll see... but first, I have a coffee date with my dad in the morning!!!

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com